South Stradbroke Adventure (UQ Surfers x UQ Sail)
$120.00 – $135.00
Friday the 9th to Sunday the 11th of April
Like us on Facebook to stay up to date: https://www.facebook.com/uqsail/
Ahoy Sailors & Surfers! We’re finally combining sailing & surfing into one amazing adventure to a deserted island paradise! We’ll pack the surfboards on our Hobie Getaways and sail across to South Currigee campground where we’ll camp out for 2 nights. Only a short walk from the campsite is one of the best beach breaks on the Gold Coast. You’ll be greeted with amazing waves and picturesque scenery as the beach and dunes vanish into the distance, and lay empty apart from the occasional kangaroo that hops about!
Each day you’ll have the luxury of catching some waves, sailing the open ocean and partying with your new friends! At night we’ll have a campfire & BBQ and then head over to the oceanside for a beach party!
Come meet the crew for a weekend of guaranteed good vibes and great company!
- Transport to and from the launch point on the Gold Coast (Howard St. Boat ramp), if you need it (We recommend you drive yourself if you can as part of our COVID-SAFE Plan). There is no bus, we will be carpooling.
- 2 nights of Camping (campsite has toilets and hot showers)
- 3 meals per day and snacks
- Boats and an experienced skipper. Plus room for your surfboard!
- All safety gear
Those attending should bring the following items:
- A tent
- A compact air mattress (no swags or bulky foam mattresses allowed)
- A sleeping bag or blanket
- A FULL Water bottle
- A hat
- A towel
- Shoes or Thongs (You don’t mind getting wet)
- 2 sets of clothes
- Swim gear
- Bowl, fork, spoon and knife
- A torch
- A garbage bag to waterproof your stuff
- Optional: A surfboard (byo, no boards will be provided and there’s no rental place at the island)
All of your belongings must fit inside of a small standard size backpack, if you show up with too much stuff we will have to leave some of it behind due to the space limitations of the boats.
If you need a lift to where we are launching from meet us at the UQ pool at 7am. If you are driving yourself meet us at Howard St. Boat Ramp. We will email you a time to arrive (as it will take a few trips to sail everyone across so we will stagger your arrival so you don’t have to wait around)
If you have not already done so in the past, you must complete a swim assessment before attending the event. You can do so for free at the UQ pool on any Tuesday or Thursday between 10am-12pm or on any Sunday between 1pm – 2pm. This is a compulsory requirement for all UQ water sports, and requires you to swim 400m (untimed) and tred water for 2 minutes supervised by a lifeguard. Please be aware, if you have not done the swim assessment, you are not allowed to sail. Once you have completed it, please provide your details here: https://www.uqsail.com/swim-assessment/
A confirmation email with further details will be sent out a few days before the weekend. Please be patient when waiting for confirmation as spaces can sometimes be limited and weather conditions have to be taken into consideration.
No sailing or surfing experience is necessary we have experienced skippers and surfers who are more than happy to show you the ropes.
Weather can rapidly change on the day, and the Stradbroke Island Adventure may need to be cut short/postponed if we cannot safely go sailing.
We are taking all precautions to ensure our event is COVID Safe. We are in constant communication with UQ Sport and taking all recommendations from QLD Health. If you have travelled from interstate, experienced covid symptoms, or have been in contact with someone who has, please contact the exec and do not attend the event. Please read the UQ Sport Covid Statement available here:
As part of our COVID-Safe plan we ask that you:
- Bring your own equipment, such as a towel, water bottle, and sunscreen
- If you can make your own way to the sailing club, please do. If you can’t, no stress! We will organize a car pool.
- If you have flu symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has or is suspected to have COVID-19 please notify executives and do not attend the event.
- If you become sick after the event, you must notify executives as soon as possible.
- In general, practice good hygiene and social distancing at all times.
South Stradbroke Adventure is only available to UQ Sail and UQ surfers members, so make sure you are signed in and have a current membership to sign up! If you are not a member or your membership has expired you can join the team here!! or purchase a bundle deal below (UQ Sail membership is only $15 when purchased with this event!) ↓↓
I require a lift and will meet outside UQ Pool at 7:15am, I will make my own to Howard St. boat ramp by 8am
I have already done the swim assessment in the past, I will do the swim assessment at the UQ pool before the event during the specified times
I am a UQ Sail Member, I am a UQ Surfers Member, I want a UQ Sail membership + Ticket Bundle!
I will be bringing a surfboard, I will not be bringing a surfboard