THE UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND SAILING CLUB.
Address: Building 25,
The University of Queensland Union Rd,
St Lucia QLD
ABN: 68 168 395 674
South Passage – Adventure Under Sail
6th to 8th of March
South Passage is a 100ft gaff-rigged schooner tall ship, based off of the 19th century ships that operated off the east coast of America. A voyage on South Passage provides a rare opportunity to sail in a truly traditional way. Everything aboard the ship is done manually, there are no winches or mechanical aids. Sails are rigged and lowered by hand and just about every activity requires a number of people working together.
The voyage will allow you to develop your ship handling skills and build your sailing ability and knowledge. Rigging and angling the sails correctly is incredibly important on such a large ship and is a skill that can help you immensely when sailing any boat. The voyage also offers a great opportunity to control such a large ship alongside other UQ Sail members, and of course we’ll crack open some cheeky ones at the end of it all.
What is included?:
- The voyage
- All meals onboard
- Accomodation onboard
- Training & safety equipment
- A unique sailing experience
Weather permitting we have organised to head out past Moreton Island where we’ll spend time sailing in open waters and experience night sailing. Spots are limited and we need to let South Passage know who is attending ASAP, so if you’re keen to take part sign up now. We will gather more details from you closer to the weekend.
- South Passage is not operated by UQ Sail, it is run by the Sail Training Association of QLD. However, the voyage is being run for UQ Sail members and you can bet your favourite club mates will be onboard.
- If for some reason you cannot make the weekend, it will be your responsibility to find someone to replace you and purchase your spot.
- 15 participants are required for South Passage to run the voyage, if 15 is not achieved they will cancel the voyage and you will be refunded the full amount.
- Exact departing and returning times are subject to weather conditions, you will need to keep the entire three days open. We are likely to be departing early in the morning and returning late in the afternoon.
Out of stock